Announcement – 30th round of allocation – spring 2022
Svalbard Environmental Protection Fund estimates up to NOK 6 million for project support in 2022.
Svalbard Environmental Protection Fund’s purpose is to ensure that Svalbard’s distinctive wilderness character and the unique cultural heritage is preserved as the basis of experience, knowledge and wealth creation. Visitors to Svalbard pay an environmental fee, and the revenue from the fee goes to Svalbard Environmental Protection Fund. The Fund also gets income from fees for hunting and fishing cards and fees and fines under the Svalbard Environmental Protection Act.
What can fund be used for?
The fund’s resources can only be used for initiatives in Svalbard with the purpose of protecting the natural environment and cultural heritage, and to projects with training and information purposes, cf. § 2 of the Statute of the Fund and regulations for grants from the Svalbard Environmental Protection Fund.
Main priorities in 2022
Svalbard Environmental Protection Fund shall prioritize projects such as:
- contributes to tourism on Svalbard being in line with the environmental goals for Svalbard and being channeled to the areas around the larger local communities in the Isfjorden area
- increases knowledge about the impact of climate change and / or the overall impact of human activity on the natural environment and cultural monuments
- promotes measures to safeguard cultural monuments
- contributes to the prevention and reduction of pollution, waste and marine litter
- promotes circular economy
Individuals, companies, NGOs and public organizations can apply for support from the Svalbard Environmental Protection Fund. Applicants are encouraged to contact the secretariat if they need guidance in the application process.
Applications must be submitted through the online application centre. Applicants must create a profile in the application centre to access the application form. Remember that all permits and attachments must be submitted together with the application. The application system is only available in Norwegian, but English guidelines are available. It is possible to submit applications and attachments in English. For further information about the application process, please contact the secretariat.
application form opens January 10th
Application deadline: 1. February 2022